Sunday, July 27, 2014

Another day, another drive, another explosion

This morning, I set out with Adi for Schneider. Again.

This time, though, I was more prepared.

“Adi, if we hear a siren, what do we do?”

“We get out of the car.”

“And?”

“Lie down on the ground.”

“Right.”

We drove. According to Waze, my regular route was backed up, so I got off at an earlier exit and took surface streets. And then, just a few minutes from the hospital, just like last time, the sirens started up.

I got Adi out quickly -- or as quickly as possible with Adi -- and got him onto the sidewalk. It’s very, very hard for Adi to get down to the ground, but he did it, and then I shielded as much of him as I could with my body.

The boom was very close, and very loud -- it turns out that a rocket fell in an open area in Petach Tikva. Adi told me how brave he was, and I agreed. And then I helped him get back up, and we got back in the car and drove the rest of the way.

I wonder when I’ll be able to drive without waiting for the sirens. I wonder when I’ll stop feeling so tense all the time.

0 comments: